The committee of Inverurie Music met on 25th October to discuss the following season and the successes of the past year. Please view the minutes below!
Inverurie Music – AGM
Sat 25th October 2014
7pm at Kemnay Church Centre
Present:John Hearne, Alistair Massey, Sylvia Munro, Jean Fletcher, Denys Wheatley
1. Apologies: Ann Boyle, Mike and Nora Radcliffe, Lessel Rennie
2. Minutes of Last Meeting:
- Taken as read.
3. Matters Arising:
4. Chairman’s Report:
- The 2013-14 IM Season opened with a highly entertaining recital given by Brass Diversions (trumpet and piano). This was attended by a group of residents from the Grove Nursing Home as part of GFA’s Value of Age programme. The artists also presented a highly successful music workshop at Inverurie Academy.
- This was followed by a recital featuring a highly unusual programme given by the Echo Chamber Ensemble, consisting of flute, viola and harp.
- IM celebrated the Centenary of local folk song collector Gavin Greig by mounting a small exhibition of memorabilia and commissioning a piece by John Hearne entitled “In Search of Strathspey”. The recital was given by the Delmege String Quartet some of whom have local connections.
- The final concert of the 2013-14 Season, held in Inverurie Town Hall, was given by Camerata Ritmata. The ensemble, led by classical guitarist Simon Thacker, included three jazz musicians on piano, double bass and percussion. All were virtuosic in their playing, presenting a programme based on music from a number of far-flung parts of the world.
- John mentioned that, thanks to Alistair’s efforts, IM now has Charitable Status and that we are now Trustees of a Board rather than members of a committee. All information about this and other matters should be sent to Denys to pass on to the web-master.
5. Treasurer’s Report:
- Alistair explained the problem which had been caused by the two payments made to IM by Aberdeenshire Council (one of these in error). It took some time before they advised us of the problem and a good bit longer before we were able to sort it out. As a result, we will almost certainly face some financial difficulties in the coming season.
- Alistair remarked that he was pleased to see that the EMS Grant had increased this Season.
- In terms of financial security for IM, Alistair remarked that regular giving from a Foundation, such as was the case with Monymusk Arts Trust, ould help enormously.
- In terms of sponsorship, John let us know that he has received a cheque for £250 from Tawse Tyres and has been promised £250 from Anderson’s Furniture Store. He is also planning to approach Johnston Carmichel for increased sponsorship.
- Committee members expressed a willingness to continue in their present roles for the coming season.
- Sylvia remarked that the committee would benefit greatly from having another active member to help in particular with publicity, sponsorship and increasing membership.
7. Close of Meeting:
- John thanked Alistair and Sylvia for their efforts.
- Sylvia thanked John for his generous loan of £150 for settling up with Haworth. She also thanked Denys for his valiant efforts in the transfer of the IM website. She mentioned that IM already has three recitals pencilled in for the 2015-16 Season (two of the dates are fixed).